Sunday, March 6, 2011

Charlie's Chocolate Cake for Christchurch

Feeling pretty removed from the current chaos in Christchurch and pretty hopeless I was looking for any way possible to help.  As a massive financial donation was out of the question I was pleased to hear the DPs work was having a week long 'bake sale' to raise funds for the Earthquake Appeal.  So last Thursday Mr A and I set about making one of my old faithful and ever popular cake recipes "Charlie's Chocolate Cake".  This is actually a recipe of my Gran's, hence everything is in ounces, and it always seems to be a favourite.

Charlie's Chocolate Cake

DOUBLE MIXTURE

Melt:
3 oz butter
6 oz sugar
1/2 C milk
1 dsp golden syrup
Cool this slightly and add
1tsp baking soda dissolved in 1/2C milk (or 50:50 milk and water)

In a basin:
1C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cocoa
Stir in the liquid and mix thoroughly with an electric beater (I use an electric egg beater), giving a runny mixture.  Pour into a tin and bake at 180 degrees C for approx 30 mins.  Generally with a doubled mixture this takes more like 40-50 mins but I just keep checking it.

I didn't get any decent photos of the end result but this gives you an idea and next time I make it I'll pop up some photos of it cut :-)

P.S The bake sale raised about $700 which was matched dollar for dollar by the company - woohoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment