Tuesday, July 10, 2012

FO: Kaipara Shawlette

Lately I have been knitting like crazy but not blogging much about it because I have been either making gifts that haven't been gifted yet or doing super secret squirrel test knits.  Now the time has come that I can finally post pics of one of those tests and this time it is actually something for me!
I had spent many hours trawling through patterns on Ravelry looking for another scarfy/shawly thing to knit to keep me warm on the cold walks to school in the mornings.  During the process and after asking for pattern ideas on the ravelry forum I got a message from Gabes of Sweetp Designs to ask if I would be interested in testing her latest shawl pattern.  As soon as I saw this pics I jumped at the opportunity and I love the results. 
The Kaipara Shawlette is a novel construction with raglan shaping across the back and then fast increases along the ends to give a lovely shaped shawlette that sits really nicely around the neck/shoulders.  It is made up of a lovely squishy garter stitch centre and open simple lace edging which can be either ruffled or not. 
The yarn I chose for this test knit is a fabulous subtle variegated colourway from Old Maiden Aunt called Ae Fond Kiss which is very subtle pinks and lilacs.  This was one of the first skeins I ever bought from Old Maiden Aunt and it was part of her "Homecoming collection" some years ago.  
A relatively quick knit this design is simple yet very effective and I love the fact that the pattern is written in such a way that you weigh the yarn at certain points, this means you can use any sized skein of yarn and get the most out of it instead of having to play a guessing game and yardage chicken :-)

1 comment: