Wednesday, February 24, 2016

KCW Day 1 & 2: Lego Rash top and swim shorts

I really wasn't sure if I would have a chance to join in with KCW this time around but things have come together and so far I'm doing ok, things could still fall to pieces later in the week though ;-)

I have been promising Mr A new togs with this lego fabric since I grabbed it in a destash over a year ago, but hey good things take time.   Then along came KCW with a toy theme, and Mr A's current rash top is falling to pieces so I finally got around to it :-)
For the rash top I fell back to my current favourite too pattern, the Fun Tee from Sew by Pattern Pieces.  This is drafted as a girls pattern but the fit is so fantastic that I simply altered it to a more 'boy fit' by straightening out the side seams to remove the waist shaping.  For Mr A I made a size 5 with 7 length, his measurements were between the 5 and 6 around so I sized down as this is for a fitted rash top.  The only other alteration I made was to widen the neckband, although I didn't need to lower the neckline as I thought I might.  The neck band isn't sitting too well at the moment but I think that will settle down once it's been wet.

For the Swim shorts I wanted to add the lego fabric as a panel down the sides so I used the Little Kiwis Closet Skinny Legs pattern as it already has this built in as a pattern option (and I was feeling super lazy).  I have also always found these to be a good fit on Miss M and I was hoping they would work here too.  I fully lined the shorts (apart from the side panels) with some random leotard lining I found in stash (I assume it came from Mum at some stage).  These are a size 5 cut to mid thigh length (I kind of guessed the length as I didn't want really short boy legs but didn't want them to go right down to just about the knee either).
And here it is all together.  I'm really pleased with the fit on, and I don't think there is any chance of losing him in the crowds at the pool!
The swimming cap I blogged about here, it's a fab free pattern from Sew by Pattern Pieces.
Most importantly he loves them!!

4 comments:

  1. I love that block fabric! Such a fun idea to use it for swimwear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this Lego fabric!! Where did you buy it? I want to surprise my grandson!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Karin. Unfortunately I can't really help you. I bought a very small piece of this in a destash so I have no idea where the fabric originally came from. Sorry.

      Delete
  2. love the Lego fabric...where did you buy it? I want to surprise my grandson!!

    ReplyDelete