Saturday, January 28, 2012

FO: The trial run....

Well the sewing theme continues for a bit here.  I am making the most of having my sewing mojo back and getting a few things made for the kids.
Months ago I bought some lovely knit interlock with monster trucks on it to make Mr A a t-shirt just like one he had spotted in Ottobre 3/2011.  I blogged very excitedly when it arrived and am ashamed to say that even to this day it is still in the package it arrived in, oops bad Mummy.  I am pleased to say though that said t-shirt is now one step closer.  Because the fabric wasn't cheap, and I more than likely only have enough for one attempt, I decided to make a trial run of the pattern first to check for sizing etc and I am pleased I did.  Going by Mr A's measurements I chose to make him a size 98cm with 110cm length, he is pretty tall and slim.  The pattern I used was ottobre 3/2011, number 24, Slim Fit T-Shirt.
My first mistake was not reading the instructions properly when cutting out the top and adding a seam allowance to the bound neck edge which meant when I sewed on the binding there was no way it was ever going to fit over Mr A's head in a million years.  Oops, lesson learnt (well theoretically), do not cut out in a rush of excitement late at night.  Once I had cut down the neck and rebound it the rest of the top went together really smoothly.
Here is the result:

I was really pleased with it, even the binding went on well, and Mr A liked it this morning even if Daddy does think he looks like a little retro boy from the 70's in it.



Excuse the goofy face and pose I interrupted some
important lego making to take this photo.
Although this fits Mr A really nicely I have decided to go up one size in both width and length for the 'real deal' so hopefully he will get next summer out of it as well.  I am also left pondering whether I should be big and brave and drag out my much unloved coverstitch machine from the cupboard to do the bindings on it?  Argh still find my coverstitch pretty scary, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment